Arana's ascension and Baldur's Gate

Beory's and Skaal's defence, There's death and travels to Arganius

Dragon killing, item creation and teleportation - what else would one wish for?

[The following sums about four sessions worth of adventuring so grab a drink and get comfortable before reading this update]

The gigantic stitched up leathery beast was slamming his claws against Thormyl’s shield. Mindlessly attacking the dwarf, who still managed to hold his ground, just. His hammer hitting true and hard almost every time, most likely due to the empowerment provided by the bracelet he took off the priestess.
They wore down the abomination and now just a handful of peasants remained.
At this point Teflon appeared by one of the church windows, he was looking for the party in regards to sharing further information on the Bloodhound guild’s operations. He was just in time. Launching a barrage of spells at the enemy, he almost did more damage to the church than his targets.
With a final round of attacks, all enemies were defeated, the survivors exhausted, covered in guts and blood. Those alive quickly stabilized their friends and retreated to Ulaa’s temple through the garden passage. The state of Beory’s temple they left behind is something difficult for one to imagine – a crated mountain of body parts, guts and blood in one corner, a large oozing corpse in the middle and scattered all around the temple floor half shredded, burned and broken bodies lay.
They saw Baldur’s Gate guards still waiting outside the temple, as if they were told not to enter and ignore the screams coming from the inside. Arriving at Ulaa’s temple they met up with the other priests and priestess – which were all very delighted to see them.

For the efforts and as a show of gratitude, a request for a reward letter was sent to Beory’s high church and Raak was told to return in a weeks’ time to pick up whatever was to arrive.
Thormyl returned the bracelet and the party was thanked for their efforts.
Thormyl was also asked to collect further red gems for his church.

After a well-earned long rest in the tavern the party decided to help Tylan and Nadar with their quests – Nadar needed to assist a dragonborn clan, whist Tylan need to get one of the teleport portals back up and running as it was at risk of being destroyed by kobolds. Both of their destinations were in close proximity and so the party left Baldur’s Gate.
On the way there they encountered kobolds – at first it appeared to be a simple ambush, but as one of the horses fell through the dirt road into an open trap the party realised the kobolds were organised. A strange wolf like creature which breathed fire attacked them from the back. The party split up during the fight: Bingo and Tylan had fallen through a trap with their horse – but manged to climb out and fought back to back on the north side, while the rest of the party stuck together. It was later confirmed that the fire breathing wolf like creature was a hellhound and they were lucky to defeat it.
Further along the road they stumbled upon a kobold camp – with advantage of surprise on their side they attacked the guards and cleared the tents. One of the kobolds made a run for it and almost managed to get away.
The party arrived at a dragonborn village called Skaal where Nadar was delightedly surprised to see some of his extended clan. Ever since he was separated from his clan during an attack on his village, he believed he was the last of his clan, but here were some of the other he knew as a small dragonborn – distant cousins, uncles and aunties.

The Skaal dragonborn were a bit cold, almost unwelcoming to start off with but quickly warmed up, especially to Nadar. After noticing a number of weapons and defensive structures built up in this small village, party quickly learned village of Skaal was under waves of attacks from kobolds and other infernal creatures.
After discussions with the Skaal clan, it became apparent that the problem was a dragon in a cave nearby. The party agreed to help the clan defend the village and would attack the dragon afterwards. Skaal leader made it clear that he did not ask for this help, but nonetheless welcomed the unanticipated assistance.
It was getting late and they positioned themselves in the south west wall of the fortified village. A thin fog started to appear and Raak thought he spotted something fly by high in the clouds. They soon heard the Skaal drums go off and readied themselves to take on whatever was coming their way.
The first wave of kobolds came out of the forest – as they charged the walls, the party shot, threw and fired a barrage of spells and weapons at them. A hellhound took down the gate, but was soon defeated. They mopped up the rest and quickly recovered as they knew that another wave was to follow closely. Raak and Tylan positioned themselves on the gate, while Bingo, Theren and Thormyl were station in the 20ft tall guard tower nearby. Bingo had moved to help Nadar at another entrance to the village.

More kobolds and hellhounds arrived. This would’ve been something the party could deal with for if it wasn’t for what was to appear from the ground on their side of the defensive wall. As they picked off the kobolds with their ranged weapons the ground began to bulge next to the guard tower. Over a few short rounds the bulge expanded, rumbling and rising 3ft, until it finally burst – sending rocks flying in all direction. Heat and foul smell spilled out of this hole followed by a massive infernal, rocklike creature, with dimly glowing red eyes and black chains surrounding its body. As if pushed out by pressure from below, it jumped out and attacked those on the tower.
It stood as tall as the guard tower and had long reach with its chains, which made it challenging for Thormyl and Tylan to cast spells. The monk was seriously injured and needed to retreat. He somersaulted off the tower, avoiding the deadly black chain attacks from the hellish creature. Landing safely out of reach of all enemies.
Thormyl and Tylan lashed out at the infernal being with magic and weapons – doing what they could to wound it – Thormyl’s hammer striking true on a number of occasions, coupled with Tylans fiery magic spells.
Raak scattered the kobolds outside with his Thunderwave spell and turned into a bear and climbed down the wall to assist his allies.

Two other dragonborn engaged the infernal creature, but also struggled avoiding its destructive chains.
The party was badly damaged and were finding it challenging to survive the onslaught. A handful of kobolds were outside the gate, shooting poison bolts and arrows at the party from a distance. Theren bravely engaged them at the door, preventing them from entering the village, but soon realised the mistake he made. One of the kobolds switched weapons and attacked him – Theren tried countering the attack with his fist, but the short sword pierced through his arm and into his chest. Theren was down and bleeding.

The infernal beast was taken down, but so was the rest of the party – the combination of pesky kobolds and the whirlwind of chains left most unconscious. Theren, Raak, Thormyl and Tylan were on the ground unconscious. At the same time Bingo returned and after seeing his allies on the ground, rush to aid them. He tried to stabilize as many as he could, before they bled to death. Tylan was ok, Thormyl had been gravely wounded and Raak was on the brink of death – being hit so hard by the chains of the infernal beast that it would take him days to recover. Raak was lucky to be alive as Thormyl literally brought him from the void between life and death. Theren was not so lucky. He had bled out by the time the Thormyl got to him. Theren died bravely, briefly stopping the kobolds from over-running the rest of the party.
It was indeed a sad evening – the dragon’s forces had retreated and the party soon found that the Skaal clan also had dozens of casualties. A handful of the infernal beast were killed that evening, more than ever before, not to mention the scores of kobolds that were obliterated.

The party wanted to revenge for the death of their dear Monk – who else was going to make sure they fill in the right forms? To their surprise they had an altercation with Skaal leader who blamed them for not being able to hold their own against kobolds. They decided to camp in the forest, not far from the Skaal village, but not before the druid had other plans…

The Skaal clan made it clear that they would not assist the party with any equipment, even thought they were distributing potions and scrolls to their fighters. The party were desperate for supplies and decided to raid the armoury – the druid turned into a cat and sneaked in inside. The party made an attempt at distracting the dragonborn guard, but that wasn’t even necessary. Once inside Raak realised that there wasn’t that much there – he noticed some scrolls and a handful of potions – taking them all, before turning back into a car and sneaking out unnoticed.
The next day they woke up early, are a spicy dragonburned breakfast, revised their spells, sharpened their weapons and loaded their horses. During the morning conversation they realised that it might be possible to revive the monk, or at least look into the cost associated in reviving the monk. After further discussion they realised that there was indeed a place not a week’s travel by boat from Baldur’s Gate called Arganius. There was also the potential to teleport there using the portal stone Tylan was sent to defend.

Nadar managed to convince the dragonborn in sharing some of their ancient scrolls and weapons with the party – they were given a potion that protected them from the red dragon flame and fear and scrolls that shot icy magic bolts that temporarily weekend a young red dragon. These were custom made artefacts, made by the Skaal clan long ago. A Skaal shaman had also cast a spell on Theren’s body to preserve it for just over a week from decay. This gave the party just enough time to get to potentially resurrect their friend.
Nadar was still injured and stayed behind to learn more about his clan.
In the meantime Bingo had made a friend called Diero – who was also an adventurer and was inspired to visit in person the Skaal clan to hear more about their stories. They hit off quite well and so Bingo stayed behind and would re-join the party after his wounds had healed.

Raak, Thormyl and Tylan were given directions to the cave and had packed their horses (taking Theren’s body with them). After a short farewell they set off.
The journey was quick as the path had been travelled well – before the dragon had nested and converted the cave, it was a common place for the dragonborn to travel to and even live as the heat provided the perfect place to forget weapons and the cave system provided natural protection from enemies.

They came to a small opening and saw that the large cave entrance was actually 60 or so feet up the small mountain. It was perfectly suited for a large creature as there was a small ramp like edge for take-off and landing. There were two well equipped kobold guards patrolling near the forest edge at the bottom and two more kobolds at the mouth of the cave. The heroes tied the horses in the forest and decided to ambush the kobolds. They took out the first two near the forest without any problems – all three hitting their targets allowing for no error. Raak and Tylan then sneaked up the steep slope and ambushed the other two guards – this proved difficult. Tylan barely hitting the kobold and the druid also missing his attacks. One of the kobolds was down, but the other ran deeper into the cave. Tylan and Raak gave chase. Going deep into the cave and at the last possible moment Tylan blasted a fiery ray at the kobold – fatally burning the creature right before the main turn into the cave opening. They still had the advantage of surprise on their side.

It was hot inside the cave, Raak and Tylan waited for Thormyl to catch up – who was sweating like an orc in a desert sun.
They peered around the corner and saw the massive cavern. It was at least 400 tall; you could see active lava between the two raised paths, both 30ft from the hot lava that seemed to move as one organism. One path led to what appeared a door with two well-armed kobolds and a bit further a strange dragon statue. The other raised path snaked it’s way to the dragon. Right before the path reached the dragons platform covered in coins and items, a short flimsy naturally formed bridge joined the path and the platform.
Raak knew they had only once chance to get this right – any mistakes would prove fatal. They spend another 5 minutes going over the plan and began to cast protective spells and drink potions to bolster their strengths. Thormyl blessed the party with guidance of Ulaa.

It was time. Raak charged out of the tunnel into the cavern, getting as close to the dragon as possible, but was still out of reach – he cast a spell on the dragon – Faerie Fire, causing a ghostly outline to appear around it. Tylan moved closer and cast a spell from one of the blue dragonborn scrolls – a cold blue bolt appeared from the scroll, guided by Ulaa’s blessing it arched across the hot cavern cooling the air and leaving a light blue trail as it whirred past. It hit the surprised dragon on its back . The dragon immediately responded with roar from the pain! The dragon was now weakened against other cold based attacks and the party had to use this to their advantage.
Thormyl moved out of the tunnel and cast a bolt that also travelled the distance, doing further damage to the dragon. Raak now in bear form, jumped over the natural rock bridge and was now next to the dragon. He bit and clawed the dragon, hitting it with all attacks.
As if the cavern had become alive, steam burst through the wall right near Raak and a large lava bubble burst near Tylan, both “natural” occurrences epically missing their targets – Raak and Tylan didn’t even realise the extent of their luck.

Thormyl and Tylan continued to shoot magic from the last blue scroll and used the only blue bolt they had – Tylan hitting the dragon right in the mouth as it began to road from the pain. He severely damaged the dragon, as the dragon was already temporarily vulnerable to cold attacks from the previous spell.
Although the dragon was not an of adult, his fire breath attacks were deadly – the druid being the closes target taking on the brunt of the fire damage, even with the protective spells he had around him. He immediately took on a defensive position and just managed to continue concentrating on his Faerie Fire while taking enough damage to kill an orc.
The party responded with a barrage of attacks, killing the barely standing dragon within 18 seconds of encountering the beast eye to eye.

At this stage four kobolds had already started to move from their guard positions around the cavern towards the party – they were armed with spears and crossbows – two shot at Thormyl and Tylan, missing their attacks. Another kobold was in a hurry and as he tried to take a shortcut and leaped over a small gap over the lava but misjudged his step. He slipped, falling graciously, still cursing in draconic as he fell and instantly being instantly incinerated by the lava.
With a final spell, the party defeated the dragon and concentrated on picking of the kobold guards. They were well trained as one had now wounded the druid.
Tylan released a few more spells which had saved and Thormyl bashed one of the kobolds with his hammer – the party now had adrenalin pumping through their blood and still with the blessing of Ulaa, they were landing their hits and avoiding enemy spells. Even these trained kobolds were no match.
The party then went and searched the cavern. They found the kobolds were near a large metal door, which had a long tunnel which was on a slopped downwards – possibly leading to the larger kobold society or camp. They decided to bolt the thick metal door shut.

They searched the kobold guards, the dragon statue and of course the dragon itself.
They found hundreds of copper pieces, scrolls, jewellery and other expensive silver and gold items. As if this wasn’t enough they decided to cut the dragon up and see if they could use any of its parts – such as the claws, teeth, tail, heart and scales. It was a long process and it didn’t help that Thormyl attempted to “hammer off” some of the claws – damaging them in the process. Druid seems to get the hang of the process and did well to remove the other parts.
They also found a gold ring with three red gems – each gem was slightly different size and shape and each had a storm of fire swirling inside it.
They loaded the horses, did one more sweep of the dragon lair and left, leaving behind the dragon carcass, smouldering in the hot temperature. The party noticed that the lava, the heat and general rumbling sounds had subsided, as if the lair was mourning the loss of its owner.

Just as the victorious party was leaving the cave they saw Bingo and another human waited for them outside in the open. Raak was immediately concerned for Bingo’s life and told the party to be ready for an ambush. Why on earth would Bingo just stand in the open, apparently eating something?
As the approached the two they soon realised that there was no threat. Bingo introduced Diero, the human Bard who he’d made friends with in the Skaal village. After a short interrogation by the druid the Diero was allowed to stay with the party.
On the way back to Skaal, Raak continued to poke Diero with further questions, but to his surprise the bard had nothing sinister about him, if anything he was quite honest and his occasional attempt to cheer up the party with music was somewhat welcoming. He also promised to write a song about how they defeated the dragon.
They return to the dragonborn village and were let through with no issues, Diero helping out getting them in as he had made friends here
As they passed through the village the dragonborn guards took interest in the spilling blood and overloaded horses. The party was told to wait.

Gabor, the Skaal leader arrived with ten other dragonborn – all semi armed but a couple were obviously taken off whatever other duties they were on as they were wearing artisan clothing. To the parties surprise Nadar was also with them.
Nadar waved from the back, happy to see his friends again, unlike most of the dragonborn. Gabor asked for the blood to be explained. Raak and Diero stepped forward and explained the situation. Gabor and the dragonborn were taken aback. They had lost so many lives to this damned dragon.

After further discussions and even briefly revealing the dragon parts to Gabor their actions were continued to be questioned. Skaal was to send a dragonborn – one of the shaman’s sons, to confirm the kill. The party didn’t have much time to wait around so the druid turned into a horse and took Jary back to the cave. Jary was excited to go on this adventure – he has always been village bound and hasn’t seen the world.

The rest of the party was invited into the inn where they talked further and shared their story in more detail, almost winning over Gabor. The elder members of the clan were also sceptical that a group of adventurers could just walk in and kill the dragon – they served half pints to the party, a token of appreciation for at least a good story.

Surpassingly Jary knew how to ride a horse – even if he was a bit rusty to begin with. This made it easy for Raak to travel, concentrating on his speed and breathing, rather than maintaining his balance and presence of his rider.

Raak didn’t hesitate; he rode straight into the cave and directly to the dragon. A couple of kobold bodies simmer in
the heat of the cave. Jary grabbed a tighter hold of the druid’s mane and leaned closer. Druid takes note that the cave is no longer as active as it was before, but still bloody hot!. A giant carcass lies at the end of the cave, which they rode towards, avoiding unstable path edges and gracefully jumping over the now fallen rock bridge. Once at the dragon, Jary jumped off Raak and looked around in disbelief and a slight hint of fear. He carefully approached the remains of the dragon and poked them with his spear. Realising nothing was going to hurt him, he straightened out his back, put down his spear, switched to his silvered dagger and chopped of a small piece of the wing.

Raak still in his animal form nudged him in the back. Jary jumped from the surprise and nearly fell into the dragon remains. He jumped back on Raak’s back and they rode back. They arrived back safely and Jary ran into the tavern, showing off the dragon piece. Jary bravely stated he had chopped it off and claimed that the dragon could have still been alive, but he had “finished it off”. Some of the dragonborn shook their head… there was obviously a story here about Jary crying wolf many times before.

The party discussed the next steps, but come up against a problem: the dragonbron won’t show them the way to the teleportation obelisk. Further, there was discussion about making dragon armour and weapons from the items the party had found.

The dragonborn had an old hermit shaman that lived not far from one of their farming clearings. They had sent a runner to confirm if the shaman was about, but he was out, carrying out important shaman tasks and wouldn’t be back for days. The shaman had previously worked on dragon armour as an apprentice to a great dragonborn crafter, Sulgar

Tylan recited that he had heard of the Bocore weapons, as they are exceptionally well made and worth their weight in black pearls. The weapons are remarkably good at killing dragons and the armour is said to protect the wearer against a direct hit from its breath attack. Stories are told of groups of heroes who confront a dragon and at a blink of an eye, the only heroes that are still exchanging blows with the dragons are those wearing and carrying Bocore made items.

Diero confirmed that he has heard of Bocore and his legendary crafting, but not in these lands, especially since they are so far from the Crown, where Bocore resided decades ago. After much discussion the party agreed to show the parts and pieces they had carved out of the dragon to Gabor and the Skaal clan.

Gabor had a look at the butchered pieces of the dragon, half smiling as at this point it hit him that his village was now safe. Raak had spotted the smirk, but kept to himself.

After studying the items that the party laid out on the floor, Gabor and another dragonborn concluded that a small set of armour could be made from the two pieces of dragonhide.

The dragons sharp tail end could be turned into a spear or a bolt for a portable bolt thrower.
The heart was potentially fresh enough to create what they called a warriors broth. This broth is rare and helps overcome dragon fear.
The claws he wasn’t sure of, but a necklace or a dagger or arrows could made from these. It’s a shame they didn’t have more.

It would take months to craft these items and the dragonborn offered to make them, but when the party would return to pick them up, the items would be evenly split and half would be left with the clan. The party agreed.

Nadar, excited by the prospect of crafting weapons and armour agreed to stay behind to learn the ways of his clan (which not a week ago he thought were extinct!) After further debate, the Skaal clan agree to show the party their sacred obelisk, but first the party would rest.

The next day, the party gathered their gear to adventure to the sacred temple. They soon found that not only Tylan and Nadar were to go with them, to their surprise majority of the dragonborn were also joining them!
They soon learned the reason for this. The obelisk was only a five minute walk away from the village…

They arrived there as a large convoy. In front of them in an alcove carved out of a hill, stood a 30ft tall obelisk with a dragon wrapped around the black marble pillar. Surrounding the obelisk in a very carefully laid out pattern were ten even circles, filled with runes of old. Time had worn out some of the dragons definitions, especially it’s mighty wings which were now chipped and half of the left wing had broken off and rested against its leg.

Tylan immediately noticed the runes on the parts of the obelisk which the dragon was not wrapped around. He began studying them and within minutes realised he could probably activate it. There was one issue, the obelisk used magic items to power it.

There was an area (almost like a sacrificial plate) designed for placing the items in front of the dragon, not bigger than a small shield. For items any larger the magic would not work.

By asking the dragonborn, the party found out that the obelisk would teleport a certain number of creatures based on the power of the item sacrificed. Those in the northern circles were likely to be teleported first. After discussing which items they would use and who would go first Tylan agreed to stay behind to active the teleportation and study it while they were gone. The party gave Tylan all of their silver demon summoning scrolls.

Bingo, Raak, Thormyl, Diero and three of their horses lined up on the circles. Tylan placed the powerful magic circlet of celestial hatred he found in the dragon cave and activated the teleport. Magic surrounded the site and the dragonborn roared in excitement – many in the audience have not seen this used before. The obelisk was surrounded by magic energies and the dragon statue’s belly started to fill up in bright red colour.

Tylan was trying to control the magics, but it was obviously something he had never done before. He could see a very fuzzy map in the magic and was searching for Freeport Arganius. Dots representing teleportation sites were dotted randomly across this magic map. The map became fuzzy as he looked further away from his location, which was represented with a dragon’s head. After looking around he started to suffer from mild dizziness, but finally locked onto the Arganius portal. There were actually two portals he could see, but something was wrong with one which he then ignored. The portal he linked to was represented by a unicorn’s head. However, he didn’t quite get the aiming right and the link was slightly off, by a couple of magic pixels.

At the belly half full, the magic energies suddenly turned and with the loud thundering sound three creatures disappeared. Raak, Thormyl and the horse with Theren’s body were nowhere to be seen.

The party reshuffled their order and Tylan teleported them again. This time, the link was perfect. He couldn’t believe it, whoever he just teleported went straight to the site. After his ritual, he looked to see who was gone, to his horror it was the two horses – which were carrying their gear!

Diero was next, also a bit of a miss on Tylan’s part. Teleportation was a tricky business.

Using his black dragon scale to fuel his teleport, Bingo was teleported last. Tylan found this the easiest teleport out of them all. Maybe he was getting the hang of it? Bingo on the other hand had a choice to make. The magics that powered his teleport had shown him the paths three paths, perhaps of his friends? Two thick paths separated towards the end and a third thin path was paired up with one of the thick paths. He mentally and physically leaned towards the thick and thin paths and was teleported.

Tylan was exhausted, he’s never had to work so hard in his life. The dragonborn cheered and a couple even breathed lightening into the air – as a show of appreciation for the entertainment.

On the other side Thormyl, Raak and the horse with Theren’s corpse appeared, fully submerged in fresh water…
Thormyl was in a bit of trouble, while panicking from his mild fear of water he realised that he was sinking, fast.
The horse panicked, of course, but it’s natural instinct told it to swim up, with Theren’s body attached.

Raak on the other hand, a confident swimmer swam up and took a quick look around his surroundings – he was in a small lake, which was surrounded by white slim buildings and trees. He immediately opened his backpack took out a potion of water breathing and dived to administer it to the drowning cleric.

Thormyl took the potion and gulped it down with some of the fresh water that surrounded him. He suddenly felt relieved, no longer did he have to hold his breath (even though he was quite the champion in his home town and even winning the “dunk your head into the bucket of dwarven ale and drink it before you drown” competition.

The horse seemed to be able to swim on its own, but then suddenly started to sink. Raak dived in to help, but it was difficult to assist as the horse started to panic. As it sunk it was almost hitting the bottom now, but then Thormyl ( casually walking on the bottom of the lake..) grabbed it’s hoofs and pushed it towards the surface. With Raak’s help, the horse made its way to the safety of the shore. Raak noticed a crowed forming at one of the larger buildings – carefully watching them, but not helping. They wore fine clothing.

Suddenly the bard landed in the lake, about 100ft from the rest of the party. He sure wasn’t a competent swimmer, but a decent floater. He didn’t sink and very slowly made his way to the shore.

The party saw a bit of light coming from the lake – it was being appearing fully submerged. He came up for a breath of air and also made his way safely to the shore.

As Bingo finished coughing up the lake water, he looked up and the now large crowd cheered. They started to throw coins at them. First the bronze, then the silver and even a few gold coins landed at their feet. They could not believe it. They could hear the crowd cheering a name – but couldn’t recognise it.

A well-dressed man ushered the well-groomed crowd away – still there was a large crowd outside of the estate, which congratulated them on their arrival. They were still on a beach, which was separated by tall 20ft walls. It was a private beach with access only from the estate. The well-dressed man left and about eight soldiers took their positions, crossbows at the ready. Bingo and Diero tried to defuse the tense situation with the guards and were successful, with the guards lowering their weapons, but still not allowing the party to leave the beach.

After a short while the well-dressed man came back and opened a dialog with the party. He was happy, but Raak sensed (Insight) it was a nervous laughter.
The well-dressed man introduced himself as the Baron of the estate and demanded to know why they were late and why the gnome illusionist was wrapped up in the body bag – which was actually Theren’s body. The party said they had come a long way.

The Baron demanded they hurry and set up for the “show”. The party went along with it and on the way to their “preparation room” found out that the Baron had to call on another gnome illusionist to entertain, but he also didn’t show up. Their room was fitted with expensive wallpaper, tall thick silk-ish curtains, a pedestal with a statue and a painting with a gold frame. The party had a difficult decision to make, do they escape, pretend to entertain or tell the truth? Unfortunately Raak had succumbed to stomach pains; perhaps it was the dragonburned chili he ate before travelling or teleportation sickness.

While discussing this they heard noises outside their room, suddenly a half dressed man burst through their door (which they thought was locked). He quickly closed the door behind him, leaning against the door, breathing a deep sigh oh releaf, thinking he was alone.

Not a minute ago Hercule was on cloud nine. He had been hired to look after a high ranking baroness that took interest in him. They drank fine wine, ate food with exotic ingredients followed up with a personal tour of the baroness’s chambers. Needless to say, this was a highlight of his life. But then an unannounced messenger came in and screamed once he saw the two in an intimate position in he private chambers. The baroness gave Hercule some gold (he dropped most as he scrambled to don his gear), dashed to the balcony and jumped a couple of balconies across, bursting into another room. From there he tried to sneak through the servants chambers, but found his way blocked.
Hurcule could now hear the guards closing in; he looked around and chose the nearest door. Using his immense strength, he slammed the door open and quickly closed it behind him.

The party reacted unusually; perhaps they were caught off-guard and so did not immediately draw their weapons. Once the new comer regained his senses, his eyes quickly filled with panic, but at the same time relief, for the strange mix of personas that were in front of him most likely meant they were not part of the estate guard. As the party asked him questions about his background, they heard heavy footsteps rushing around outside. This somehow brought both Hercule and the party together – for both were wanting to leave this strange place. Hercule did query why they were carrying a dead monk with them, but he was not in a place to judge others. To make sure that no one else bursts through the door, he picked up a 400 pound statue and pinned the door against it.

As they discussed their options, they noticed a thin mist fill the room, especially around the door which had almost wave like purples of gas pouring in from underneath it. Thormyl quickly reacted, giving Hercule a silk rope and telling him to go to the window. Bingo and Diego were up next and both peaked outside the window, noticing a large half bird half human creature sitting on the balcony. “Perfect” thought Bingo – “Just what we needed”. The birdman appeared to be chanting.

Three ghost-like figures conjured themselves from the now dense fog that covered much of the room’s floor.

Hercule was a bit confused, but understood that this might be his own wrong doing… at the same time, the others are carrying around a dead body… There was no time to think and he flung himself out of the second window, jumped across to the balcony and swung his axe at the chanting birdman, hitting him with full force.

The others were all holding their own, either facing the birdman via the veranda doors or deflecting the mind attacks of the purple ghost like creatures. The birdman then turned and confronted Hercule, first stunning him and then charming him to do his bidding.

Thormyl saw the opportunity and bull-rushed the birdman, hitting him off the balcony. The birdman fell 30 ft from the fourth floor and just managed to spread his wings avoiding taking the full amount of fall damage.

Hercule managed to regain his consciousness, but not before taking a swipe at the cleric, thankfully the cleric was already a bit weary of this half clothed hero, so he was able to defend the attack.

The three ghost like creatures then morphed their ethereal hands into blades of ice, attacking the party in a different way. The party quickly started picking them off one by one, but not before most were injured from the ghosts second wave of mind attacks.

Coincidently, as soon as the last “ghost” was defeated, the mist retracted and all was clear. Bingo searched the room and found that the painting was trapped. After closer investigation, Thormyl realised that it was a painting of one of the Crown’s princesses, which must have been painted at some point somewhere nearby as the background in the painting had a similar lake and houses. At the same time they heard footsteps and prepared to attack anyone coming through. The Baron spoke from behind the door saying that their act was cancelled and they must leave.

However, the party had a dilemma – Hercule was with them. They decided to lower the monks body with the rope from the balcony and wrap Hercule in the sheets that covered the dead body. Hercule and Thormyl lowered monks body with Bingo. Bingo untied the body and came back up with the rope. They then wrapped Hercule up in the rags and when the door was opened by the guards, they all left safely. The only thing that was strange that was noted by the party, was that they exited the side door… even though they entered in the main entrance.

They made their way back to the monk’s body, only to find a small crowd of people discussing what should be done and how it needed to be “disposed of”. Two heavily armoured guards were attending the body and were in charge of the situation. The new party member, Hercule the barbarian decided to use his muscle to defuse the situation and recover the body. He quickly realised that the guards were actually clerics of Pelor and his argument to take the dead body had no weight. Fortunately Thormyl stepped in at the most opportune moment. One of the clerics was not happy at all with letting the body be handled by the group of adventurers, but the other, named Laron, was happy to assist the party with the recovery – but he was still a bit concerned with the body being turned into an undead. Thormyl explained that they were taking this body to be resurrected by St Cuthbert and Laron aided in covering the body up.

The party managed to finally recover the body and made their way to a tavern that Hercule knew would ask no questions. After a 20 minute walk they were at a small tavern and were the only customers. They locked the room and stayed there for the night.


Bingo felt at home in the inn, that was run down and in the wrong part of the town. The other clientele were his sort of people, people that he knew the monk wouldn’t have warmed to. “If we can breathe a spark of life back in to him, we must bring him back here to make sure the locals have all filled in the right permits and such”, thought Bingo, who chuckled to himself at the thought.


I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.